Thursday, July 22, 2010

Learning to Breathe

Sa Wah Dee Ka! (Hello) After only a couple days out here in Hueipueng, a mountainous village in the city of Chiang Rai, I've already fallen in love. Let me explain...
After arriving in Chiang Rai airport and walking out the sliding glass doors, I was greeted by a sticky, hot sensation. And I'm not talking about mango sticky rice. Our living conditions are also a very new experience for me. Our bathrooms are only flushable with the aid of a bucket of water/bowl, we find geckos that don't save us money on car insurance, it constantly rains warm water, I share a shower with about ten different species of moth, and I CAN'T BREATHE. But at the same time, I was greeted by gleaming smiles as our vans approached the orphanage we are staying at. I am bowed to respectfully by every student as I walk across the campus. And did I mention how CUTE these kids are??? God has definitely blessed our team with many new friends and experiences. Our lives have been touched by the kindness and attitudes of the people we've met in the country of Thailand. Yet again, I have experienced the power of prayer. My God conquers all and I am living, no, BREATHING this mission trip experience and listening to what God wants me to do for the first time. I'm still learning day by day. I can only hope to find more God moments as my team and I continue our work here.

Love,

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment